Pros: Accurate measuring & watering, humidity booster,
Cons: Plastic, price
The FloraFlex 12" round flood & drip shields are a dream come true for me. I have always wanted to run a FloraFlex dripping system and this is a fantastic way to get introduced to drip growing. This product allows me to use one of the systems I already run; 5-gal pots with soil!
Setup is easy with no alterations required. Adding these to pre-existing plants is easy for the most part; The passion flower was a bit difficult due to the plant already wrapped around the tomato cage. That being said, they have multiple holes to accommodate trellis or tomato structures.
The drip emitters pop-out with a bit of force from a knife point; this is due to the excellent seal. Once out, they are easy to clean with a bit of blowing #NES4LIFE. The emitters became clogged upon the re-pushing-into soil. One shield was used twice to see how easy or difficult it was to introduce into an existing system and to re-use the product. Turns out, its easy!
I plan on trying more FloraFlex items in the future because their shields are easy to expand and solid to use daily. These characteristics look to run throughout the FloraFlex line. That is if I can save up—these prices are high due to quality.
Have a FloraFlex product you want me to try? Shoot me an email here! Happy to give you 2¢!
Things are picking up from the last update! The change in water really helped get the plants out of their nutrient shock. Besides lightly watering, only a little pruning is required here and there for upkeep. I am spending my time messing around on the Tik Tok app (@PDXhydro) and planning the summer garden.
Have questions? Post them below!
Want to see something in particular, leave a request below!
If you haven't read the original post, click the link above. This post leaves off, hopefully, where the other stopped.
Budzai-ing is FUN! Out of the 4 seeds soaked, 3 cracked. Currently, only 2 plants are alive due to user error. One is in soil, I'll come back to the soil one, and the other is in a Kratky tub, formerly aeroponic tub. As previously mentioned in the original post, this grow was focused on plant manipulation, therefore death was anticipated. Death from poor water health was not expected. Not mentioned in the previous post is the different growing methods being used. I split the seeds to see if Kratky would be a better method for Bonzai-ing due to direct access to the roots at all time.
After checking and perfecting lights, air and temp systems... growth in the Kratky tubs was stalled yet soil based plants were flourishing. This left the only one place left to check. I measured the nutrient water (Nwtr) with a meter that can measure up to 999 PPM.
The meter error-ed out! ---- 😲 #NotAcceptable
After some non-scientific measuring, I deduced that 25% of the Nwtr should remain before filling with clean water to achieve the desired 600PPM. After 2+ hours... I changed all the tub water and have noticed results instantly; remaining Kratky Budzai is recovering. Though beneficial, it was too-little too-late for, originally, 1/3 of the Budzais. The combination of high-stress training and root burn was too much for the tiny tree to handle. #RIP #SeePictureAbove
During the tub adjustments, I removed the aeroponic sprayer and converted the tub back to Kratky to make things easier on me; one feeding schedule. Additionally, I removed the air stones during the adjustments. I may introduce this back, but I am still learning the system i've created. I have yet to understand the limitations and wont add more moving parts before I do.
This one is doing great therefore not much to blog about. Its about 2 ft tall and under 12/12 light cycle and showing only male characteristics. My plan for this one is to do a root hack next week like a true bonzai. I will post pics on instagram and grab a video for here when I do.