Pros: Effective, easy-pour spouts, understandable mixing chart
Cons: Synthetic, cost
Emerald Harvest's 3-part nutrient system is very easy-to-use. The mixing chart on the back of the bottles are easy to match measurements (mL) and most importantly understand. I have not had any issues with plant loc-out while following the schedule exactly. The effect I have noticed is superior plant development as compared to traditional organic gardening; which is no surprise.
The MSDS sheets are easily available for download on Emerald Harvest's website. After reading the MSDS sheets, I will recommend wearing re-useable gloves while handling & mixing. The ingredients contain mostly nitrates with some urea in it which can be an irritant to some, hence the advice to wear gloves.
I have used this system in conjunction with a root probiotic (review to come) and some homemade worm leachate. All together with superior genetics will result in heavy yields and a simple growing season.
This is an on-going review because this product is currently in-use. I will update this post after harvest for a full report on this product's effectiveness into final stages, as well as any issues/alterations that may come up.
The 2019-2020 winter grow is off to a great start! I have learned my my mistakes last year, and am successfully achieving a goal of mine: DIY Aeroponic Growing.
Last year, I abandoned this goal due to loc out and garden demands (Read More Here).
Summary Of Mistakes:
I was not measuring the PPM nor the PH of the nutrient water in the tub. Instead, I was adding nutrients on a weekly schedule according to the manufacturers feed schedule. This rendered a nutrient mixture that literally was off the scale (<1000PPM); AKA Loc Out. I ended up draining the tub and converting to a Kratky tub, but did not give up on my goal.
Summary of Fixes:
I have cut the mixture rates in half, measure the PH/PPMs regularly, and frequently-adjust the ON/OFF repeat cycle timer to match the plant's water consumption; I am err-ing on the side of dry. This is making a HUGE difference, and I am finally experience the benefits of aeroponic growing; expedited growth (see comparison photo above).
I am using a bigger water pump! This change was for two reasons. First reason was to increase the water level. Second was to get the manifold closer to the cups. The pump is WAY over qualified for what it's doing.. but its still doing the job wonderfully!
The air-stone quantity has changed as well from last year. Last year I had only one, This time I have 4! It's over kill, I know—but, I don't have an algae issue at all!
My vermifarm is setup and producing wonderful worm leachate. I am diluting and adding it with my nutrients. You can learn more about this here.
The final change from last year is my media setup. Last year, I used a custom soil/perlite blend. This year, the bottom 65% of the cups are Hydroton and then a .5" soil layer is atop that. The soil is not necessary, but I am using it as a visual cue to how wet the roots are getting. #ProTip
Air Pump Setting
The air-pump kicks on every 30 min for 15 min. I find this is the perfect balance of water surface disturbance vs. energy consumption
Water Pump Setting
The water-pump OFF setting is constantly changing because I am adjusting against the dampness of the soil. If its too damp, I increase the OFF time. If it's too dry, I decrease the OFF time. Currently, It is set to 5 sec on, 35 min OFF.
(1x) HDX 27 gal. Storage Tote
(1x) HDX 27 gal. Storage Tote - Lid (drilled for net cups)
(1x) EcoPlus 1267 Submersible Pump
(4x) Air stones (any-kind works)
(1x) Clone Sprayer-Manifold (something like this) (can be made out of PVC-cheaper)
(6x) Net Cups